United States

Tips and Tricks for Finding a Job in the United States for Foreigners


If you want to enter the United States, you need to make sure that you present yourself in the best possible light. If you’re wondering how to get a job offer in the U.S., here are the things you need to have in order to be considered, especially if you need sponsorship:

Tips and Tricks for Getting a Job in the US for Foreigners


To compete with the American workforce, you should get a master’s degree if you don’t already have one. If that’s not possible, you’ll need real-world experience.

Work experience is important. Education is important, but having excellent work experience on top of that shows that you are not just book smart, but that you can put that knowledge to good use.


Do not send a generic resume to just any company that might be interested in sponsoring your visa. You need to do your homework, study the company, its products and culture, and tailor your resume and cover letter to the exact job openings that interest you. The importance of a strong cover letter cannot be overstated.

Ability to Communicate in English If you want to get ahead of others who want to immigrate to the United States, you need to have excellent English skills.

If you feel that you can still improve in any of these areas, you should work on all of them until you are satisfied. Your applications submitted to the U.S. will most likely be saved indefinitely, so don’t send weak efforts if at all possible. where can I look for a job in America?

Where can I look for work in America?

While traditional job search services such as Career Advisor and Monster may have listings for foreign nationals, most jobs will not be able to sponsor your visa; if you already have a visa, there may be specific constraints that prevent you from accepting that job. You can only search for jobs on these U.S. domestic websites if you have a green card or employment authorization document.

So where exactly should you look for work? Consider some of the following suggestions:

  • Expatjobseeker, Xpatjobs, and the Expat sections of Indeed and Glassdoor are all websites that specialize in jobs for expats.
  • Private recruitment services may specialize in finding opportunities for expats and may even assist ex-pats who need additional training or licensing to work in the United States.
  • Under a specialized H-2 visa, employment agencies can help you find seasonal farm work. Some may even help you obtain a visa sponsorship.
  • Look into participating in a summer travel work program. Many can sponsor you for a J-1 exchange visa, which allows you to stay in the country for up to a year.
  • If you are already in the U.S. on a student visa, you can search for on-campus positions through your university’s career office or look for jobs in your area that will sponsor your visa.

How to Obtain a Work Permit in the United States as a Spouse?

We have discussed the possibility of a spouse working in the U.S. on several of these visas, but most of these visas do not automatically give permission to work. If your spouse is moving to the U.S. for employment, you may be wondering “Can I work too?”.

If your spouse has one of the following visas, you are allowed to work:

  • H-1B Visa
  • J-1 Visa
  • L-1B Visa
  • L-1A Visa
  • E-3 Visa
  • class EB Visa

If your spouse has entered or will enter the U.S. on one of these visas, and you are accompanying him or her on the appropriate spouse’s visa, you may qualify to work in the U.S. by filing Form I-765. The cost to file this form is $410, and if approved, you will receive an employment authorization document, which verifies your ability to work in the United States. More information is available on the USCIS website.

International Framework

If you work as a manager, business executive or expert for a company from your home country that has a presence in the U.S., you may be eligible for a Class L nonimmigrant visa or an EB-1C immigrant visa. Here’s what you need to know.

  • If your company does not have a branch office in the U.S. and wishes to establish one, you may qualify for an L class nonimmigrant visa to assist in establishing business operations abroad.
  • Your company must sponsor you for this visa.
  • It allows you to stay for up to one year to assist in business operations.
  • This visa can be renewed in two-year increments, up to a maximum stay of seven years.
  • This visa allows you to bring your family to the United States with you.
  • If your company already has a branch office in the U.S., you may qualify for a Class L visa, although your initial stay may be extended to three years instead of one.
  • The requirements for an EB-1C visa are the same, except that you can also obtain legal permanent residence in the United States. Compared to other immigration routes to the United States, the success rate for these visas is high. Many people who come to the U.S. on an L visa end up obtaining an EB-1C.

How to find a job in the United States of America?

  • Take your time. Be sure to start the process early, as it can take some time to obtain a visa.
  • Make sure you are eligible. Before you apply for a visa to work in the U.S., make sure you meet the requirements.
  • Beware of scam artists. Remember that the U.S. government does not charge an application fee for work visas or educational materials. Therefore, if someone asks you to pay them, it is most likely a scam.

Before you apply for a visa, make sure you understand the process. Check the Visa Bulletins for the latest information on the visa process and changing immigration laws.


If you’ve weighed the pros and cons and decided that a life in the U.S. is right for you, make the most of these tips. Find the right visa for your life and skills, take advantage of the many job opportunities available to foreigners, develop your targeted skills, write a strong cover letter, and impress reviewers with your English. Soon, you may be looking out your 20th floor office window at the cityscape, enjoying the financial prosperity that professional employment in the U.S. can bring.

1 Comment

Leave a Comment